August 30, 2025
Rublev, Tiafoe sweat in Toronto three-set victory

Rublev, Tiafoe sweat in Toronto three-set victory

The exposed couple Andrey Rublev and Frances Tiafoe were tested over three sentences before entering the fourth round of the ATP Toronto Masters on Friday.

Sixth seed Rublev, second -placed in Canada a year ago against Alexei Popyrin, advanced with 5: 7, 6: 4, 6: 3 when Lorenzo Songo folded twice in her competition after two and a half hours.

Advertising

Tiafoe, number seven, confessed a bad day, but got his victory on the hard way when he defeated the Australian Aleksandar Vukic 6: 3, 4: 6, 6: 3.

“The ball flew a lot, it was really ugly, but I’m happy to get through it,” said Tiafoe.

“It doesn’t matter how you win. You just have to compete. It was up and down for me today.”

Rublev’s victory extended the loss series against the top 20 that Songo had been plagued for more than a year.

The Italian dropped his last 16 games against the elite from Roland Garros last season. He is now 2-3 against Rublev.

Advertising

The seed ended with 29 winners, while Songo had 41 casual mistakes.

Rublev, who won his 25th game of the season, is now competing against Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, who defeated him on Clay in Barcelona this season. The Spaniard earned his place 6-2, 6-4 over Jakob Mensik.

“I’m really happy, it is my first time in the 16th round here in Toronto,” said Rublev about the event that changes every season with Montreal.

“I am excited, motivated and satisfied with my performance.”

The winner said he had to adjust his serve under windy conditions when he celebrated his comeback after he had lost the opening sentence.

Advertising

“I played more aggressive in the second set and made fewer mistakes. I did more with my serve. I had to spread it in the wind.”

Tiafoe will meet next to another Aussie in Alex de Minaur, who advanced when compatriot Christopher O’Connell took out with an injury.

Tiafoe scored his 22nd game victory of the season when he won the last three games against Vukic, who had lost 15 or his last 18 games before his arrival in Canada.

“I had chances in the second set – I could have come out in Geraden (sets),” said Tiafoe. “But he fended off her and made me play a third party.”

Advertising

The American, a quarter -finalist in his hometown in Washington last week, will play after Madrid in spring in a fourth round of the fourth round of the master for the second time.

The second seed Taylor Fritz was later 16 when he carried out a test in the third round against the Canadian Gabriel Diallo.

Czech Jiri Lehecka completed a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 fight against the overhaul of Arthur Fils when the Frenchman played for the first time since Roland Garros because of a back injury.

STR/JS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *