August 30, 2025
Leading numbers back the telegraph campaign for prostate cancer screening

Leading numbers back the telegraph campaign for prostate cancer screening

Leading numbers have thrown their weight behind the telegraph campaign for targeted screening on prostate cancer.

No tests are offered to men, even if they have a family history of the disease, but the British National Screening Committee is considering whether it should recommend the introduction of tests.

The Telegraph started the campaign and revealed that thousands of men only receive a diagnosis with prostate cancer after being dismissed by their family doctor several times.

Every year around 55,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer, the most common cancer in men. Of these, around 10,000 only get the diagnosis after at least three visits to their general practitioner to seek help, according to NHS data.

Rishi Sunak, the former prime minister, supported the call for the targeted demonstration on Saturday and competed in several personalities in the treated world of television and sport.

Experts believe that there is a growing case for targeted screening, which means that prostate-specific antigen tests (PSA) are offered for those with increased risk.

Sir Chris Hoy

Despite his family history, Sir Chris Hoy was never offered PSA tests – Ian Macnicol/Getty Images

The emergency of men with prostate cancer was highlighted by Sir Chris Hoy, a six-time Olympic gold medalist, in which final cancer was diagnosed, in which his prostate came from his prostate in 2023.

Despite prostate cancer, who affects his father and his grandfather, he was never offered PSA tests.

A more targeted screening could mean that men with a family history, higher genetic risks or those whose ethnic background increases the probability of a disease offers a family history, higher genetic risks.

Men over 50 can request a PSA test, but GPS is said that they should not offer them proactively and use their clinical judgment about younger men.

According to the current rules, tests should be offered to those with symptoms.

Wes Streeting, Health Secretary, said that Sir Chris “argue” about the case for the prostate screening, especially where there is a family history of the disease.

Every year, around 12,000 men die in Great Britain from the fact that around half of the men who were only diagnosed with the disease that can be symptomless is in a late stage.

Mr. Sunak, who recently became an ambassador to the charity prostate Cancer Research, said: “Too many men leave it too late to check. They will get into a false feeling of security by the lack of symptoms.

“In too many cases, there are probably too late at the time of the effects of symptoms that affect your lifestyle. If men are looking for help, cancer may have progressed and much more difficult to treat.

“In some cases, people do not know that they are highly risk due to the family history or ethnic background. Coming ignorance and therefore we need a more targeted national screening program. It will ensure that men are seen and checked before it is too late.”

So far, the government advisors have reluctantly recommended the program for concerns about PSA tests. In recent years, however, the backup diagnosis has improved considerably.

Stephen Fry

Stephen Fry: “When caught early, it is excellent survival” – Lia Toby/Getty Images

The actor Stephen Fry, 67, was diagnosed in 2018 and was operated on to remove his prostate and some lymph nodes. He was diagnosed after a routine PSA blood examination and an MRI scan after a proposal by his doctor.

He also supported the telegraph campaign and said: “Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in men in Great Britain, but there is one that we talk about too little, test too late and occur too slowly. Thousands of men die unnecessarily from an illness that is caught when it is caught.

He asked the government and the national screening committee to introduce a targeted screening program, starting with the most endangered men.

Fry said: “We know that the early detection of prostate cancer saves life. It’s really that easy. No man should die of cancer who could have been treated in time. We have a moral obligation – as a society and as a health system – to act.

Dermot Murnaghan, 67, the former Sky News moderator, announced in June that he had prostate cancer in stage 4, which means that he has spread to other areas of the body.

He said he “fell through the gaps” in the system and never asked his family doctor for tests because he assumed that regular private health checks included PSA tests.

He said to The Telegraph: “I know first -hand that the early diagnosis can lead first.

The TV moderator Nick Owen, 77, was diagnosed in 2023 with aggressive prostate cancer, for which it was treated.

Nick Jones

Nick Jones: “I consider myself one of the happy” – David M. Benett/Getty Images

He said: “The diagnosis was one of the worst days of my life. It triggered some turbulent times, not only for me, but also for my family. Life is better now, but it’s not the same as you.

“Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in Great Britain without screening program, but the evidence is there to change this.

“Early diagnosis is crucial and changes this senseless situation, in which it is still aware of men to aware of their risk, and proactively talking to their family doctor men. Black men and people with family history are an increased risk.

“I am a father of three boys in the late 30s and early 40s. I know about inherited risk. I’m really concerned about you. I am very concerned about it.

“We all want a world when there are regular, reliable tests to find prostate cancer in the early stages when it is easier to treat. Hopefully this campaign can get us on the right track to get there.”

Kenny Logan, 53, the former Scotland International and husband of the BBC presenter Gabby, was treated for prostate cancer in early 2022.

Kenny Logan

Kenny Logan: “I was asymptomatic when I was diagnosed” – Max Mumby/Indigo

He said, “I was asymptomatic when I was diagnosed in 2022. If I hadn’t done a blood test, it might be too late.

Bill Turnbull, a TV presenter and journalist, died of the disease in 2022 at the age of 66.

His daughter Flora said: “A more targeted screening program for men who can develop the most susceptible prostate cancer will be a step in the right direction. Those who have the highest risk for this disease earn better.

“My family and I know how cruel prostate cancer is after my father gradually declined after his diagnosis in 2017.

“I know how determined and quickly the disease can act if it stays deactivated. I really hope that this campaign will lead to better results and a better future for all men and those who love them.”

Bill Turnbull

Bill Turnbull died of the disease at the age of 66 – classic FM/PA

Nick Jones, 61, the founder of Soho House, an international chain of private member clubs, was diagnosed with a large and aggressive tumor at his prostate, which was urgently removed.

He said: “I consider myself one of the lucky ones, my prostate cancer was just caught in time. But happiness should not decide who lives and who dies. It is time for the government to act. Too many life are at stake.”

Journalist Paul Henderson was diagnosed in prostate cancer in the stage in June and will write a regular column for the telegraph about the diagnosis and treatment process.

He said: “Awareness of prostate cancer should not begin with a diagnosis. As the most common cancer in the UK, we all have to talk about it. We have to understand the risk factors and have to catch it as early as possible.

“As with almost all men, I never thought that it would happen to me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *