A generation of children must not grow “delivered by toxic algorithms”, said the technology secretary when the new online security protection came into force.
Peter Kyle said the government laid the foundations for a safer, healthier and more humane online world because he warned the Tech companies that they “take account of” if they do not adhere to the measures.
The changes within the framework of the online security law and for the enforcement of regulatory authorities from COMS require that online platforms carry out age tests-help from facial age or credit card tests if they align pornography or other harmful content such as self-harm, suicide or eating disorders.
Technology secretary Peter Kyle said that the government had drawn a line for online protection for children (Stefan Rousseau/Pa)
They also demand platforms to ensure that algorithms do not help to damage children, for example by promoting such content on the Internet.
Measures that could be taken against companies that do not comply with the new codes include fines of up to £ 18 million or 10% of the global sales, depending on the period larger, and court regulations may block access in Great Britain.
Activists have warned that the measures have to be forced only, whereby the NSPCC OFCOM is asking to “show their teeth” if companies are not changed by the regulatory authority.
But the Molly Rose Foundation, which was founded by the front father Ian Russell, after his 14-year-old daughter Molly had looked at life on social media, said that there was “lack of ambition and accountability” in the measures and accused the regulatory authority “to prioritize the needs of the security of Big Tech before the security of children”.
Mr. Kyle insisted that the government had “pulled a line into the sand” and that the codes will bring real changes.
He said: “This government has taken one of the boldest steps in the world to regain digital space for young people – to lay the basics for a safer, healthier and more humane place online.
“We cannot and will not allow children to have exposed to poisonous algorithms, and urged to see harmful content that they are never exposed to. This is neither the Internet we want for our children nor the future we want to accept.”
He said the time for Tech platforms “to have the other direction” and ask them to “act now to protect our children, to follow the law and to play their role in creating a better digital world”.
He warned: “And let me be clear: if you do not do this, you will be held accountable. I will not hesitate to continue and say goodbye to ensure that no child remains unprotected.”
Dame Melanie Dawes, Managing Director of Ofcom, previously defended the criticism of the reforms and insisted that Tech companies do not receive much power about the new measures that will apply in Great Britain.
Dame Melanie said: “Prioritization of clicks and commitment to the online security of children is no longer tolerated in Great Britain.
“Our message to technology companies is clear – the protective measures defined in our codes are observed or are exposed to the consequences of OFcom’s enforcement measures.”
The regulatory authority said that X, formerly Twitter and others, including Bluesky, Reddit and Dating App Grindr, are among those who are committed to retirement security and described their security codes as demanding that algorithms “have to be tamed and configured for children so that the most harmful material is blocked”.
It is said that it has started a surveillance and impact program that focuses on some of the platforms on which children spend most of the time, including social media website.
The locations belong to those who have been asked to examine a review of their efforts to assess risks for children and until September 30 for examining the practical measures that they take to protect children.
Chris Sherwood, managing director of the NSPCC, said: “Children and their parents not only have to be responsible for protecting themselves online. It is high time that technology companies strengthen.”
He said that if the enforcement is “strong”, the codes should offer online an “important protective layer” for children and adolescents and added: “If technology companies do not keep up, OFCOM must show its teeth and enforce the new codes completely.”
Based on the children’s charity organization, the changes were “an important springboard”, but “must be robustly enforced”.
The English children’s representative, Dame Rachel de Souza, said on Friday, “a new era marks the change in the online protection of children, whereby technology companies now have to identify and tackle the risks for children.
Andy Burrows, Managing Director of Molly Rose Foundation, said: “This should be a turning point for young people, but instead we were disappointed by a regulatory authority who decided to prioritize the business needs of the big tech to the security of children.”
He said that the “lack of ambition and accountability are heard loudly and clearly in Silicon Valley.
He added: “We now need a clear reset and a clear leadership of the Prime Minister. That means nothing less than a new online security law that defines this broken regime and restores the balance in favor of children.”
At the beginning of this week, Kyle said that children could limit themselves to using social media apps to help them “take control of their online life”.
He said he wanted to tackle “compulsive behavior” and the ministers report that the starting blocks also consider a two -hour border.
The cabinet minister said that he would make an announcement on his plans for the under 16 years of “in the near future”.