August 30, 2025
Offer to move the US space Shuttle Discovery compared to the Pushback Museum

Offer to move the US space Shuttle Discovery compared to the Pushback Museum

In the flagship tax of President Donald Trump and the expenditure law last month there was a little measured provision to shift the legendary Space shuttle discovery from a museum outside of Washington to Houston.

The plan is now with legal uncertainty, whereby the Smithsonian institution argued that the congress has no authority to give away what it takes into account as private property – even before they take into account the steep logistical and financial challenges.

“The Smithsonian Institution has the discovery and considers it to be trusted for the American public,” said the museum network, which receives significant federal financing and still receives an independent unit, in an explanation of AFP on Friday.

“In 2012, NASA” transferred all rights, titles, interest and property “of the shuttle to the Smithsonian”, continued the explanation and described Discovery as one of the “center pieces” of the museum that welcomes millions of visitors a year.

The urge to move the discovery from the location of the Air and Space Museum in North Virginia began in April, when Texas John Cornyn’s senator, a Republican who will introduce the “Bring The Space Shuttle Home Act” next year before a difficult main challenge next year before a difficult main challenge.

The legislation stopped until it was folded into the mammoth “Big Beautiful Bill”, which was signed in the law on July 4th.

The passage provided the move $ 85 million, although the impartial congress research service predicted far higher costs of $ 325 million, which added that the power of the NASA administrator is “unclear” through non-school companies.

In order to comply with the rules of the Senate, the language of the law was changed in such a way that the discovery is no longer named directly. Instead, the bill refers to a “space vehicle”, although there is little doubt about the goal.

The NASA administrator – currently transport secretary Sean Duffy, who served in the acting capacity – received a deadline on Sunday to determine which space vehicles are to be relocated.

– End of an era – –

The NASA’s Space Shuttle program ended in 2011 after a 30-year run, in which America’s ambitions of space led to the Apollo region.

The four surviving orbiter – Atlantis, efforts, prototype companies and discovery – were awarded to Florida, California, New York and Virginia by a ranking selection process.

The most fleeing discovery was selected as a record vehicle in an almost complete state, which was intended for the study of future generations.

“There was not much support in Houston to want a shuttle,” Space historian Robert Pearlman told AFP and added that a proposal to accommodate him in the Space Center was relatively weak.

But after the announcement, in Texas, which the Johnson Space Center, in which NASA’s human space is supervised, felt sniffed and reproaches the political interference of the then President Barack Obama.

A general probe from NASA inspector did not find any evidence of a bad game.

– enormous challenges – –

The relocation of the discovery would now represent great technical hurdles. NASA had changed two Boeing 747 to Ferry Renttired Shuttles – one is now a museum piece, and the other is not in operation.

This remains country and water transport. “The next water input to the Potomac River is about 30 miles away,” said Pearlman-but it can be too flat for the orbiter and the required load barge, which instead requires a 100 mile trip.

Water transport would require a massive closed load barge, he added.

The US government only has such a ship that is controlled by the military. If you borrow it to a civil agency, another Congress Act would be necessary, and the alternative would include the structure of one from the ground up.

Dennis Jenkins, a former shuttle engineer who supervised the delivery of retired orbiter in their new houses, told Space Outlet’s collection that the costs could reach one billion dollars.

Nicholas O’Donnell, a lawyer at Sullivan & Worcester with specialist knowledge in art and museum law, said AFP that the assumption that Smithsonian has valid documents: “I do not think that secretary Duffy or someone in the Federal Government is more authorized to order the move of discovery than you or me.”

The government could appoint a significant domain – private property for public use – but would have to pay a fair market value or try to sue.

The Smithsonian is unlikely that it would like a court dispute, and although it is legally independent, his financial dependence on federal funds is politically susceptible, said O’Donnell.

Ia/jgc

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *