Parents and children can expect to “experience another internet for the first time”, said the technology secretary when new security measures came into force.
Peter Kyle said that he had “high expectations” for the changes because the head of the regulatory authority, who is responsible for the enforcement of social media platforms that do not adhere to the public “to judge us according to the effects”.
While some activists have welcomed the new protection – which include age tests to prevent children from accessing pornography and other harmful content, others have referred to them as “stick pips”.
Charity organizations and other organizations that work in the field of child safety have agreed that the key will ensure that the measures are forced and calls on “showing his teeth”.
The changes also require platforms to ensure that algorithms do not help to damage children, for example by driving such content such as self -harm and eating disorders.
Measures that could be taken against companies that do not adhere to the new codes include fines of up to £ 18 million or 10% of the global turnover, depending on the period larger, and court regulations may block access in Great Britain.
Mr. Kyle said that a generation of children must not grow up that they are “exposed to poisonous algorithms” because he promised that the government laid the foundations for a safer, healthier and more humane online world and the Tech companies are warned to “hold” if they do not match the changes.
He said to Sky News: “I have very high expectations of the change that children will experience.
“And let me say the parents and children, they will really experience another internet, for the first time from today when they are going forward in the past. And that’s a big step forward.”
The measures within the framework of the online security law and for the enforcement of COMS regulatory authorities require online platforms to carry out age reviews-under the use of facial age or credit card tests, if they organize pornography or other harmful content such as self-harm, suicide or eating disorders.
Dame Melanie Dawes, Managing Director of Ofcom, said that research by the supervisory authority only came across pornography online last month.
When she was transferred to her by the BBC that one of her employees could register the new measures on Friday with just one email address at a known porn page, she said that websites were checked “Sample of e-mail use” behind the scenes to verify the users of adults.
She told Radio 4’s Today Program: “We showed that we have teeth and that we are ready to use them at OFcom. And we have obligations in the porn industry and X that no other country has secured. These things can work.